If you want to know more about what career coaching is, how it works, what to expect and how it can help you get where you want to be, here are some frequently asked questions that should give you the answers. If there’s anything you need to know that’s not covered here, please get in touch and I’ll get straight back to you.
- What is career coaching?
Career coaching is the process through which you are helped to achieve measurable improvements in both your professional and personal performance. The coaching experience offers the rare opportunity to stand back and to take a fresh look at the experiences and assumptions of a lifetime. It facilitates enhanced self-awareness that is required for increased clarity and sustaining positive change.
- How can career coaching help me?
One of the key ways that career coaching helps people is through heightened clarity, resulting in well-defined priorities and goals. Coaching will also help in a number of other ways, including:
- Greater awareness – a coach can see things that you may not be able to see, such as patterns, behaviours or habits, and can reflect these back to you to help you achieve what you want to achieve
- New ways of thinking and doing things – if your current approach hasn’t enabled you to reach your goal, a coach can help you find new ways of thinking and doing things that will result in different outcomes, in line with your goals
- The confidence to think big – a coach is a facilitator, a resource and an ongoing support for you throughout the coaching engagement. They encourage you to go for the big goals, help you define how you will achieve them and are your support along the way
- Sustaining change – change can often be difficult. Through coaching you become accountable to the actions you commit to in each session, supporting you in not only making, but sustaining change.
- Identifying gaps – Want to take that next step in your career, or even make a career transition? The coaching process can help you to identify what you need to develop to reach the next stage of your career.
- What kind of outcomes can I expect from career coaching?
With a results focused approach and the support you need to get you there, you will achieve your goals faster and easier than trying to go it alone. You will develop new strategies and skills to overcome both internal and external obstacles and thereby pursue success more effectively.
Some of the benefits that people have experienced from executive coaching include:
- Greater clarity of goals and priorities
- Increased self-awareness
- Greater focus
- Improved decision-making skills
- Greater creativity
- Renewed commitment and confidence
- Improved balance in all aspects of life
- Greater effectiveness and better performance.
- What kinds of areas can carer coaching help me with?
Coaching can help you achieve a broad range of goals across a number of areas. These areas can include:
- Leadership development
- Building confidence & assertiveness
- Performance enhancement
- Executive presence development
- Positive communication skills
- Career transition & planning
- Planning your career after redundancy
- Managing uncertainty & change
- Wellbeing to support performance
- Identifying & leveraging strengths.
- What is the coach’s role?
As your coach, it will be my role to help you realise your potential and improve your performance. Through a structured program I will work with you to achieve insights, define your goals and map out the journey that will get you to your desired outcome. With no internal links to your company, I can be your supporter, co-creator and confidant – the resource you need to get where you want to go.
- What is your coaching methodology?
I use the Results Coaching methodology, which has contemporary neuroscience at its heart, using insights into how the brain works to get the best results from coaching. My coaching structure is as follows:
- Setting goals; we explore your needs and define clear and measurable goals based on your vision of success.
- Creating the strategy; together we work to define the strategy that will get you to your goal in the most effective and efficient way.
- Taking action; throughout the coaching program we will be implementing the action plan, monitoring results, identifying opportunities for improvement and embedding changes.
- Evaluation; the outcomes are evaluated against the goals set in phase 1.
- Maintenance; plans are put into place to sure new behaviours and learning are embedded.
- Do I need to have clearly defined goals to undertake career coaching?
Whilst you may have some idea of the types of areas you would like to focus on, you do not need to come to your first session with any pre-set goals or objectives. The goal setting process in session one is very thorough and will support you in exploring all the areas that are important to you before establishing goals.
- What can I expect from my first career coaching session?
In your first coaching session I will take you through the coaching process and will give you the opportunity to ask any questions that you may have. We then spend the majority of the session working towards the definition of your primary goals. By putting time and focus into your goals upfront, we ensure that the coaching process is solution focussed and that you have a motivating force to work towards.
- Is coaching confidential?
All materials and discussions covered during the coaching engagement are between the client and the coach and remain confidential.
- How much does coaching cost?
The coaching program will be tailored to your specific needs, so please get in touch to for a personalised costing.
- What kind of commitment is required from me to undertake career coaching?
Having a coach does require a commitment from you. Your success will depend on you committing the time, energy and effort required to achieve your goals. There will be actions to be completed between sessions and we will be following up on these actions regularly. The good news is that most people find the times they have a coach to be incredibly rewarding and get fantastic results.
- What locations do you work in?
I coach in my consulting rooms on Elizabeth Street in Sydney’s CBD, and am also available at other locations throughout Sydney. In addition I work with clients from varied locations over Skype or the telephone.
Get free tips & articles
Achieve the life, career or business that you want